How to Make a Placemat Purse
1/2 yard lining fabric (optional)
1 1/3 yards ribbon
velcro or snap (optional)
1. If you opt to line the purse, cut the lining fabric the same size as the placemat. Turn under 1/2 inch at the top and bottom (short edges). Press and pin to placemat. Stitch in place.
2. If placemat has hemmed long edges, cut off to eliminate bulk in the seams.
3. With right sides together, fold placemat in half, joining short edges. Pin sides. Stitch side seams with a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Finish seam with a narrow zig-zag stitch.
4. To make boxed corners, flatten a bottom corner by opening the side seam towards the bottom of the purse. The side seam should be in the middle of a triangle. Stitch across the tip of the triangle, 1 to 1 1/2 inches from the tip. Cut off the tip, cutting close (1/4 inch) to the stitiching. Zig-zag to finish. Repeat with the other corner.
5. Turn placemat outside out. Cut ribbon in half and cut each ribbon end diagonally. Apply a thin coat of Fray-Check to cut ends. When dry, tie a knot in each end.
6. Place a ribbon at the top of the purse, spacing ends 4-5 inches apart, as desired. Pin in place. Stitch across ribbon to secure. Repeat with other ribbon strip on the other side.
7. If desired, sew on velcro or a snap on the inside of the top edges to make a purse closure.