Inspired by the cookies at a local deli, I really wanted to create my own peanut butter based cookie with peanut butter chips and peanut butter cups! These may not seem "done" when you take them out of the oven, but they will finish baking on the sheet.
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup smooth natural peanut butter (I used Smucker's Natura)
3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup peanut butter chips
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
10 peanut butter cups (5 packs of 2), each cut into quarters
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, peanut butter, brown sugar, and honey until combined. Add egg and vanilla extract; beat until egg is fully incorporated.
3. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter-sugar-egg mixture. Stir until just combined. Stir in peanut butter chips and chocolate chips.
4. Drop oversized tablespoonfuls onto parchment-lined sheets, at least two inches apart. Bake for 9-11 minutes at 350, until edges are just starting to become golden, but center is still very soft. Remove sheet from oven and quickly press three peanut butter cup pieces into the top of each cookie. Return to oven and bake an additional two minutes.
5. Remove from oven and cool on baking sheet for five minutes, then transfer cookies to a cooling rack.