"monster: adj. - enormous or impressive in size"
Monster Cookies fit the bill when it comes to Fall baking. They're perfect for Halloween parties, after school snacks, and tailgating picnics. "Monster" refers to their usual large size, though you can make them smaller for little hands, too. While you can experiment by adding most any cookie friendly ingredient, classic Monster Cookies contain oatmeal, peanut butter, chocolate chips, and candy-coated chocolate pieces. No flour is necessary. Think BIG when you're making these cookies - big recipe and very big cookies. You can scale them down, of course, but do you really want to?
Classic Monster Cookies
3 cups brown sugar, packed
1 cup white granulated sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
2 ½ cups smooth or crunchy peanut butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ½ teaspoons light corn syrup
4 teaspoons baking soda
9 cups quick-cook oatmeal
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 cups candy-coated chocolate pieces
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine sugars, butter, and peanut butter. Mix well.
3. Add vanilla extract, corn syrup, and eggs - one at a time.
4. Next add baking soda and gradually add oatmeal. (If this is getting to be too much for your mixer, stir by hand.)
5. Stir in chocolate chips and candy-coated pieces.
6. Prepare a baking sheet by lightly greasing it or by covering it with parchment paper.
7. Use a large ice cream scoop or a ½ cup measuring cup to portion out the dough for the cookies. A regular baking sheet will accommodate six cookies at a time.
8. Use your palm or the bottom of a measuring cup to slightly flatten the mounds of cookie dough.
9. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes with a medium scoop, 12 minured for a large scoop. The centers of the cookies will still be soft, edges will be set and will turn slightly golden.
10. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
Optional add-ins (adjust the amounts of chocolate chips and candy pieces as necessary):
1 cup cocoa powder
1-2 cups of your favorite nuts, chopped
1 cup coconut
1-2 cups raisins
1-2 cups other flavor of candy chips, such as butterscotch
1 cup sunflower seeds