Flavors of Greece
Gyros, feta, spanakopita, tsatsiki with pita, fresh tomato and cucumber salad, and yogurt with wild honey for dessert. For the 2004 Summer Olympics games, get into the multi-cultural spirit with a few Greek menu items.
Spanakopita (Spinach and Feta Phyllo Triangles)
1 pkg. pre-washed fresh spinach leaves, cut into small strips
8 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
2 oz. parmesan cheese, grated
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. dried basil
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced (or ¼ tsp. garlic powder)
salt and pepper
1 pkg. frozen phyllo sheets, thawed according to package directions
½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl combine spinach, feta, parmesan, egg, basil, and garlic. Stir well. Add salt and pepper as desired.
3. Place two phyllo sheets on a large cutting board. (Cover remaining sheets with a damp towel.) Brush top sheet with melted butter.
4. Use a pizza wheel cutter to cut sheets into three long strips. Place a rounded tablespoonful of spinach mixture at the end of each strip. Fold each strip with spinach into a triangle shape, as if folding a flag.
5. Place triangles on parchment covered sheet, close together, but not touching. Brush tops with melted butter. Repeat from step 3 until spinach mixture has all been used.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 11-15 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Tsatsiki Dip with Pita Wedges
1 cup plain yogurt, drained (read step 1)
Don't forget the ouzo! This licorice flavored alcohol is a favorite in Greece . If you've seen "My Big Fat Greek Wedding", you'll recall the ouzo served at festive occasions. However, if ouzo doesn't suit your tastebuds or you prefer a non-alcoholic beverage,
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
1 clove fresh garlic, minced (or 1/8 tsp. garlic powder)
salt and pepper
1. Place yogurt in a coffee filter inside a strainer. Set it over a bowl and let the liquid drain out of the yogurt for at least 1 hour.
2. Transfer thickened yogurt to a bowl. Stir in cucumber and garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Serve with pita wedges.
/ Home / Celebrate